Winter 2023 traditional commencement registration is closed as of Nov. 3, 11:59 pm Arizona Time.
For questions regarding registration status or if a confirmation email was not received, please email the Commencement Office at [email protected].
Questions regarding the commencement ceremonies can be emailed to [email protected].
9 am Ceremonies:
- Graduate candidate check-in is from 7 – 8:30 am
- Doors open at 7 am
- Commencement ceremony times are from 9 am to approximately 10:30 am
2 pm Ceremonies:
- Graduate candidate check-in is from noon – 1:30 pm
- Doors open at noon
- Commencement ceremony times are from 2 pm to approximately 3:30 pm
7 pm Ceremonies:
- Graduate candidate check-in is from 5 – 6:30 pm
- Doors open at 5 pm
- Commencement ceremony times are from 7 pm to approximately 9:30 pm
- Your guests must have general admission tickets to enter the GCU Arena. We ask all ticketed guests to be seated at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
- Graduate candidates will check in and then be seated on the arena floor by degree program with the help of a commencement staff member.
- There is no ceremony rehearsal. We will have staff onsite the day of the ceremony to help you with any questions and lead you through your check-in process, helping with any lastminute touch ups on regalia and taking a seat on the arena floor to enjoy and partake in your commencement ceremony.
- If you have a fellow classmate within the same college and degree level that you would like to sit with, please meet up at check-in and go together to be seated on the arena floor.
- Please arrive wearing your regalia (cap and gown). If time allows, you may be able to do a final touch up on your attire.
- Wear comfortable shoes; high heels are not advised.
- Ceremony duration is approximately an hour and a half.
- The first-floor concession stand in GCU Arena will be open. Sealed bottled water will be allowed; however, no outside food is allowed into the GCU Arena unless medically necessary.
- When entering the arena, a clear bag policy will be enforced. If needed, clear bags can be purchased on campus at the Lope Shop, Building 24.
- Metal detectors/bag checks will be in use. The following items are prohibited for arena entry: weapons of any kind, including, but not limited to, firearms, knives, pepper/OC spray, stun guns or brass knuckles, illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia, noisemakers, alcohol, glass bottles, balloons, flags or banners, wrapped packages or gifts, pets (service dogs are permitted), strollers, wagons or car seats. There is no storage for personal belongings.
Come celebrate your great accomplishment! Congratulations!
Winter Commencement Eligibility Requirements
- Expected fall semester graduates
- Degree posted or registered through completion, with the end date of the final course being on or before the end of the fall semester, not based on credit hours
Friday, Dec. 15
College of Engineering and Technology
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Natural Sciences
Colangelo College of Business
College of Theology
College of Arts and Media
College of Education
College of Nursing and Health Care Professions
Spring 2024 traditional student commencement will be announced shortly after the Winter 2023 commencement.
Dates and times of commencement ceremonies are subject to change.
Regalia includes the emblems and insignia worn by graduate candidates as a sign of distinction and formality. Master’s degree candidates’ regalia includes gown, mortarboard (cap) and tassel plus hood unit. Bachelor’s degree candidates’ regalia includes gown, mortarboard (cap) and tassel plus stole.
Regalia for Graduating Lopes
Regalia includes the emblems and insignia worn by graduate candidates as a sign of distinction and formality. Master’s degree candidates’ regalia includes gown, mortarboard (cap) and tassel plus hood. Bachelor’s degree candidates’ regalia includes gown, mortarboard (cap) and tassel plus stole.
Gowns have distinguishing marks to indicate the level of scholastic achievement:
- Doctoral degree gowns have velvet accents on both bell-shaped sleeves and front lapels.
- Education specialist gowns are similar to Doctoral with black velvet accents.
- Master's degree gowns have trimmings and long oblong sleeves that drape at waist.
- Bachelor's degree gowns have trimmings, a purple stole and pointed sleeves.
GCU Hood and Tassel Colors
|Academic Degree||Collegiate Colors|
|Arts, Letters, Humanities||White|
|Health Science and Mental Health Science||Gold|
|Math, Science and Technology Science||Gold|
|Public Administration (MPA), Government and Justice Studies||Peacock|
|Public Health||Salmon Pink|
For doctoral, education specialists and master’s candidates, hoods display the school's colors, the type of degree and area of study. They are worn around the neck and flow down the back. The inside lining is GCU colors in a chevron pattern. The color and width of the velvet edging on the hood indicates the degree and field of study. Bachelor candidates do not wear hoods.
Herff Jones is Grand Canyon University's commencement regalia vendor. To order regalia, graduate candidates must be registered for commencement. Please use the Herff Jones regalia link that appears in the confirmation email once registered for commencement.
Graduate candidates who do not plan to attend their commencement ceremony can still order a cap and gown for a memento. For the vendor contact information to place an order, please send an email to [email protected].
Master's - Front and Back
Master cap, gown and tassel plus hood
(excludes tax and shipping)
Bachelor's cap, gown and tassel plus stole
(excludes tax and shipping)
Regalia Order Deadlines
- Nov. 13, 2023
11:59 pm (EST)1
- Nov. 22, 2023
11:59 pm (EST)
1 There will be a rush fee for any order that is placed after the initial deadline.
Nursing Pin Deadline (DPN, MSN and BSN Students)
- Oct. 23, 2023
11:59 pm (EST)
Nursing degree candidates wishing to purchase a nursing pin to represent degree completion through GCU can order their pin through the regalia link provided in their registration confirmation email.
Download and Print Banners, Lawn Signs and Posters
It’s time to show off your Lope pride in honor of you or your GCU graduate! Celebrate graduation and welcome the newest member into the GCU alumni Herd with these ready-to-print banners, lawn signs and posters.
If using an outside printer, first check with them on what products they are able to print.2 They will be able to provide details on what materials they have available. Each product has a few common sizes available for download.
2 Due to COVID-19 precautions, it is recommended you confirm your local printer is open for business before finalizing any orders.